Saturday, June 05, 2004
Can 'ou canoe?
So, faced with a glorious sunny Saturday with absolutely nothing to do, we headed up to the canoe launch in Skokie and spent a lovely couple of hours paddling the North Shore Channel. We saw:
- giant goldfish lurking in the weeds
- red-bellied woodpeckers
- lots and lots of swallows, nesting under the bridges
- a hawk being run off by blackbirds
- a deer, walking noisily through the underbrush and vaguely startled by the weird creatures on the river
- 900 trillion cottonwood fluffies, all headed directly towards our faces
'Twas an excellent trip, and my arms and shoulders don't even hurt (yet). We even talked about getting a canoe of our own, something I've wanted to do for a long time. Hey, if you have a big truck, you might as well get a canoe to put on top!
View northward, not far from the launch site at Oakton
Turtle - painted, yes?
Snapping turtle on a slab of floating bark, very irritated that we saw through his "Pay no attention to me, I'm just a boring old rock" routine. Dark spot on shell is water Mark dribbled on him to wake him up.
Look at the tail on this guy!!